It goes without saying that having a reliable home security system is incredibly important, regardless of where you live or the size of your house.
Today, it’s more affordable than ever to invest in a quality security system for your home. Imagine how it would feel to have total peace of mind when you leave for work in the morning, go on holiday for a couple weeks, or go to bed at night.
Full activation in under 30 minutes
5 distinct security packages
Advanced equipment with professional installation
Variety of smart home and on-the-go
Customizable with no installation fees
There are a range of companies across the United States that offer monthly packages from as little as $19.99 per month, making home security extremely affordable. So there’s no reason to leave your home unprotected and at risk.
Pros and Cons of Affordable Home Security
- Affordable home security can either be professionally fitted, or a DIY system posted to the homeowner which is then self-installed.
- They can be installed at your own convenience and be set-up much quicker.
- A DIY home security system will usually come with all the basics, including sensors, motion detectors, output devices, a circuitry panel and keypad.
- Most DIY security systems are portable, which might mean they can be moved when you do.
- If you’re looking for a higher level of security including extras like pet-immune motion sensors, panic buttons and fire and carbon monoxide monitoring, you will usually need to opt for a more premium package.
- A DIY system doesn’t usually offer more than basic support, and any repairs may have to be covered at your own cost, so it’s worth checking all of these details before making your choice.
How to Pick the Best System
There are a number of things to look out for and be mindful of when selecting the best home security system. Much of this depends on what you’re personally looking for, and your needs, but there are a few general points to keep in mind.
- Decide on whether you want a professional installation, or a DIY system — as explained above, there are a number of pros and cons when it comes to opting for a professionally installed home security system, or a DIY alternative. Decide which is more suited to your needs right now.
- What level of home security are you looking for — some security systems will offer the usual alarm or surveillance system, and additionally protect you against smoke, fire and carbon monoxide. If you’re looking for a more complete home security system, there are certain companies that will offer this.
- Make sure you know all costs involved — many people get drawn in by a low monthly fee, and don’t read the small print to see how much the upfront costs are. This can lead to you being a dissatisfied customer from day one, with a security plan that isn’t best suited to your current financial situation. Decide how much you are willing to pay (and can afford to), and be sure to do your homework before making your decision.
- Check what you’re covered for — some home security companies will offer free maintenance and repairs included in your monthly bill, while others won’t. Some will also cover a certain level of the damages caused in the event of your home being broken into.
The 5 Best and Affordable Home Security Systems
- Simple installation
- Mobile app
- Excellent customer service
- Wireless technology
- High upfront costs
- Only 3 year warranties on equipment
Frontpoint Security is perfect for customers looking for a simple, user-friendly security system, that is easy to self-install in around 30 minutes. Excellent customer support and service, and no hidden fees makes it a popular choice for homeowners.
Prices start from $34.99 per month to $49.99 per month, with a one-time minimum $99 upfront fee.
- Comprehensive home security system (with battery back-up)
- 24-hour monitoring
- Custom solutions
- Can also help protect against smoke, fire, carbon monoxide, and floods
- May cost more than advertised
ADT’s systems come with 24/7 monitoring, top of the line equipment, and free customer support. Initial consultations can often be set up on the same day of enquiring, and installation is quick and stress free.
ADT also offer a range of technological advantages over their competitors including video surveillance and using smart lighting to reduce your energy bill.
Prices start at $36.99 per month.
- Lifetime warranty
- Several options to choose from (including mobile controls)
- Free installation
- Access to 24/7 monitoring
- Company has a shaky history
- Pricing model is difficult to decipher
Vivint is best suited to customers looking for free and professional installation, with non-stop monitoring. Customers are also able to control the smart system from anywhere with their mobile, making this option a convenient one.
Monthly monitoring fees range from $49.99 to $68.99. Free installation and equipment come with every package purchased (but there is an activation fee for all plans, which ranges from $99.00 to $199.00).
- ADT money back guarantee (see terms & conditions)
- Same day installation
- Theft protection guarantee up to $500 (see terms & conditions)
- Quick and easy access to police, emergency response and firefighters
- $99 installation fee
- System requires professional installation
If you’re looking for a trusted brand, and you want a quick and professional installation, Protect Your Home will tick all your boxes. It offers state-of-the-art technology, and is one of the world leaders when it comes to home security.
Prices start from $36.99 per month to $47.99 per month, with all hardware installed for just $99.00.
- DIY installation
- No set-up costs or hidden fees
- Free to move and take anywhere nationally
- Free lifetime warranty
- Minimum 36-month contract
Protect America is best for homeowners seeking a DIY installation, and wanting to avoid startup costs and hidden fees along the way. With zero upfront fees, Protect America is one of the most affordable home security options available. It also has an excellent reputation when it comes to customer service and after care.
Entry level packages start at $19.99 per month, and goes up to $42.99.
Secure Your Home Today
Make a list of what you’re looking for and your budget before shopping around, and you’ll save yourself a lot of time and unnecessary stress in the long run.
With so many reputable yet affordable home security companies to choose from, there’s no reason not to protect your home today.